1S - Caterpillars Class
Literacy lesson 5
Have a go at reading the story 'What would we do without Missus Mac' on the PowerPoint below.
Then watch the video below for the 5th lesson.
Phonics Lesson 5 – Friday 15th Jan
- Watch the Alphablocks video below. They’re spelling the same sound in lots of different ways: oa, oe and o_e https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQFilBxEseg
- Play Obb and Bob on link below https://www.phonicsbloom.com/uk/game/odd-and-bob?phase=5#
Click on o-e.
Sort the words and decide if they are real or fake.
You could practise some of the other sounds on this game too!
Maths Lesson 5 15th January – Adding Practice Game
Play with a partner if you can.
Get your number cards from 0 – 9.
Choose 2 cards each. What’s the best way to add your two numbers together? Who has the most? Score a point if you have the greatest number. If you have made the same number, you both score a point. Who will win after 5 goes? Who can add up the quickest? You could challenge yourself by using bigger numbers too.
Literacy lesson 4
Watch the story video again from Monday to remind you of the story.
Then watch the video below for the fourth lesson.
Phonics Lesson 4 – Thursday 14th Jan
o_e (Spilt digraph) as in ‘Phone home’
- Watch the video below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF8bMZXmScU (There are a few sounds at the start of the video that we haven’t done yet – don’t worry!)
- Read and spell these words:
bone, home, alone, those, stone, woke, note, explode, envelope
3. Write a sentence with some of these words in. Challenge: extend your sentence with and, but or because.
Maths lesson 4
- Watch the video below. Complete the rest of the sheet from yesterday. (Questions 5 and 6)
- Maths Extra Challenge:
True or False?
14 + 5 = 18
Can you draw a number line or some counters to prove it?
Can you explain it out loud to an adult?
Literacy lesson 3
Watch the story video again from Monday to remind you of the story.
Then watch the video below for the third lesson.
Phonics Lesson 3 – Wed 13th Jan
i_e (Split digraph) as in ‘Nice smile!’ J
- Watch the video below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhzuQIVgyak
- Read these sentences. Watch out for the same sound written as igh.
You have got a nice bright smile.
The time was right.
The prize was a nice sight.
3. Can you think of any other words with the igh, ie or i_e sound in? Make a list in your neatest handwriting.
Maths Lesson 3 13th January – Using Number Bonds to Add
- Save the Whale (number bonds to 10 game) click on the link below https://www.ictgames.com/saveTheWhale/index.html Choose the correct water pipe to make 10 and save the whale!
- Watch the video below. https://vimeo.com/490879867
Then complete questions 1, 2, 3 and 4 (You’ll finish the rest tomorrow!) on the worksheet from your pack (I've attached a copy below also).
Worksheet (It is in the pack given out also)
Literacy lesson 2
Watch the story video again from yesterday to remind you of the story.
Then watch the video below for the second lesson.
Phonics Lesson 2 – Tuesday 12th January
ie sound as in ‘a tie in a pie’
- Watch the video (Below): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoPUHeA0CHA
Geraldine the Giraffe found objects at home with the ie sound in their names.
2. Can you read and spell these words too? Ask an adult to help you by telling you which one to spell without looking!
pie cried tried replied lie fried denied tied spied
3. Write a sentence with some of the words in. Remember capital letter, finger spaces and a full stop! Challenge: extend your sentence with and, but or because.
E.g. The little boy cried because he hurt his toe.
I ate an apple pie but I didn’t have custard.
She tied the kite on the string and flew it high in the air.
Don't forget Phonics Play is currently free. It has games and activities suitable for our learners.
Maths Lesson 2 12th January –
Add by counting on
Watch the video below and complete the worksheet as you go along
Maths extra challenge
Phonics lessons for the week 11-15 Jan 2021
Phonics lesson 1
ay sound as in ‘May I play?’
- Watch the video below and join in with the teacher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cc7xQ_R4_4
- Practise reading and writing words with the ay sound in them. Use your neatest handwriting!
day, play, may, say, stray, clay, spray, tray, crayon, delay
- Try reading these sentences. Watch out for the similar sound ai (snail in the rain!)
The rain went in the tray.
We play in the train.
The spray hit the sail.
Maths lessons for the week 11-15 Jan 2021
Maths lesson 1
- Watch the video below and try the counting on activities.
- Can you do these by counting on? Remember to start from the biggest number.
9 + 4 = 13 + 5 = 12 + 8 = 17 + 4 =
Daily timetable for home learning in Year One
Join in with the sound work just the way you would at school.
Story activity (video)
Each day complete the writing activity linked to the story of the week
Each day there will be a video posted to help you learn more about the week’s maths concept. Watch the video and complete the activity.
If you have time left, use the links to the online maths games or the maths games on the class web pages to help you keep your maths skills sharp!
Our topic this half term is People Who Help Us. We will be learning about people who help us stay safe, stay healthy and stay happy, famous people who have helped others and also how we can help people too.
On three days each week watch the topic video and follow the web links, then try the topic activity.
On two days each week, get active for an hour! This will help you stay healthy during lock down. You can follow the Joe Wicks links on the class web pages.
Take time each day to read to yourself or to a grown up. You can read books or magazines that you have at home, or you can read books on the Oxford Owl website. It’s free to join!
It’s really important to keep learning and keep active. I’ll phone once a week to ask you how you are and find out how your learning is going. Have fun, work hard and stay safe!
This is a link to a brilliant reading site called Oxford Owls.
You will need to make an account, but they are easy to do and completely free!
This is a guide how to use Oxford Owl reading.
Click here to join in with Joe Wicks P.E. Lesson. Can you get an adult to join in with you?
Literacy tasks Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 6-8th Jan 2021
Phonics tasks Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 6-8th Jan 2021
Maths tasks Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 6-8th Jan 2021
Topic tasks Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 6-8th Jan 2021
Welcome to Caterpillars Class!
Welcome to 1S Caterpillars page
Class teacher: Mr Skinner
Teaching Assistants: Mrs Bowen, Mrs Godhy, Miss Foottit and Mrs Alli
School starts for Year 1 children at 8.50am and finishes at 3.05pm
Staff will be on the playground to receive children in the morning and we ask parents to leave the school immediately after dropping off their children, thus reducing the risks.
The topics we are covering this year are-
Autumn 1 – Recovery curriculum and Where we live
Autumn 2 - Whatever the weather
Spring 1 - People who help us
Spring 2 - Meerkat and friends
Summer 1 - On the move
Summer 2 - Beasties, bugs and beetles including dinosaurs
Please check regularly, as we shall be updating the pages with more information about life and learning in Year 1.
This term our topic is called “Weather including seasons, light and dark and plants”. We will be finding out about different types of weather, the four seasons, producers of light and what dark means and about parts of a plant.
This topic includes
- looking at maps of the UK and identifying the capital cities of the 4 parts of the UK.
- learning about differnt parts of plants and their features.
- Learning about light and dark including what darkness means.
- Finding out about different weather.
In numeracy we are focussing on
- counting and understanding numbers
- addition and subtraction facts
- 2D shapes
- 3D shapes
- patterns and sequences
- number bonds to 10 and 20
In literacy we will be
- using our sounds to write words
- writing simple sentences with finger spaces, capital letters and full stops
- Using adjectives in our writing
- using conjunctions like 'and' to join sentences
- reading lots of stories and non-fiction
- retelling our favourite stories in different ways
Check the classroom door for notices and information that you will find useful!